View Single Post
Old 25th June 2018, 06:01 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think avoiding the name game is advisable, as has been noted, these type blades (i.e. stabbing, thrusting, armor piercing etc.) have been known in various countries and cultures. As with blades of all kinds, they are typically mounted with localized styles of hilts, which has little effect on the character of the weapon overall.

As noted by Jens, the term 'panzer steicher' (loosely armor piercing in German) is used descriptively there, while in France it is an 'estoc'; in Poland a 'koncerz' and in English often termed a 'tuck'. These were as noted, usually secondary weapons carried under the saddle and used as required.

They were on occasion quite long, in Poland as long as 62" blades, ranging to more manageable 36" in other cases, seldom ever weighing over 4 lbs. The section on these blades for thrusting was triangular, squared, or a flattened hexagon and some rhomboid....and I would imagine the variations were in accord with intended manner of use......however in no cases were these made for cutting and edges were not sharpened.

I would point out here that in many cases these were much akin to the zweihander in their uses, one being that of hunting. The so called parry hooks on these swords blades were actually to prevent the advance of a wounded animal up the blade rather than parry in combat.

Many of these estocs similarly had two hand hilts, so might have been used in many ways depending on circumstances.

In the hunt, it would seem feasible that a weapon such as this with notable length might be used to 'spear' an animal such as boar etc. though it would be challenging despite the reach with a hilt of the 'tulwar' form. These were not designed in what I have understood on swordsmanship in their use, as intended for thrusting but only slashing cuts. Though it would seem that if properly held with finger around guard it might be possible.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote