View Single Post
Old 20th April 2023, 10:38 PM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Keith!

Always interested in Spanish swords, I could not resist tearing into very old files, and while not directly answering the questions in the OP (orig post) I found this material possibly salient in context.

from : "Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, June 21,1900"
Vol XVIII, pp.206-215, by Baron Charles A. DeCosson.

DeCosson was one of the luminaries of early 20th century arms & armor study.

Discussing a sword with mock Arabic inscription and arms and badges of the Catholic Kings, with the inscription in the grooves,
PEDRO GARETA ME FECIT
"...when Count Valencia de Don Juan , our honorary fellow and director of the Madrid Armoury, examined this sword with me, he expressed the opinion that this blade was not of Toledan make and thought it might be German. It certainly has not the peculiar character of true Toledo blades, which to those well acquainted with them is unmistakeable. Besides which the name on it is not correctly spelt.
Rodriguez del Canto, fencing master of Madrid, in an unedited manuscript written in 1734, and entitled 'El Discipulo Instruido' gives a list of all the most celebrated blade smiths of Toledo with their marks. His list differs somewhat from that of Palomares so well known through having been printed in the catalog of the Armeria Real in 1849.
In R.del Cantos list we find a pedro de Garatea, who is no doubt the same master who is called Pedro de Lagaratea by Palomares. No blade signed in either of these ways is at present known. But his blades must have been famous to be imitated with the incorrect for Gareta.

From a careful examination of this blade and the similar one in my own sword, I think it is probable that they are both Italian, as are many professing to be of Toledan manufacture, notably all those inscribed Monte en Toledo which are imitations of those made by the Toledan master Belmonte or Velmonte. "

In an article by Abraham Lopez, "Alonso Perez, Sword Maker of Toledo'
it notes that Perez was one of the most prestigious artisans of late 16th c and worked as an officer in Toledo at shop of famed master Gil de Almau.

An important rapier was found on the well known shipwreck of the Nuestra Senora de Atocha (1622) off Florida. It was of course heavily encrusted but it was determined to be of Italian style, but with Toledo blade as commonly seen in Spain.

Attached is page showing the 'anchor' mark apparently associated with Perez and as seen on the blade of the sword here in OP.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 21st April 2023 at 07:12 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote