Thread: Bosnian Bichaq
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2020, 12:00 PM   #63
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
I've got this bichaq today with the shamshir mark on its blade
may I compliment you as yours looks very well indeed and is in a very good condition, also its scabbard. Good catch! Gratuliere ☼

Piece of advise on the bone hilt / handle if I may be so bold :

it looks at one side in a perhaps poor condition. Not to bad but you have to check and watch it

to avoid further deterioration and small pieces splitting off, I would advise to gently take a little drop of olive oil ( pure, not mixed and light colored only- not heavy colored; I use virgin olive oil) on your fingertip and gently and softly rub it over the darkish, damaged parts.
Take a soft cloth to take , rub the dirt off and repeat it if required: you'll see it yourself. Do not overdo it and take no risk. just a little bit.

It will not only clean the dirt a little but also feed the (mostly made from buffelo or ox ) horn and hence avoid further drying out.

Not quite necessary but only visual improvement (if you want) you can use the finest stainless steel wool (Edelstahlwolle extra fein ) to smoothen the surface. Like they do with lefaucheux pinfire revolver bone handles
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 11th October 2020 at 09:42 AM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote