View Single Post
Old 4th June 2022, 03:05 PM   #6
werecow

Well, 95% of my pictures were blurry again, but here are some of the less disastrous ones.

It's clearly undergone significant repairs to the grip. Something I failed to notice before is that it looks like the guard may have been broken and welded back together at one point. The sides of the crack line up well so I assume that the parts do belong together. It looks like the plates were riveted to the guard as can be seen in the pictures; the rivets are missing in one corner, leaving two little holes.

Some measurements: I can't quite get my calipers between the plates on the guard but the blade is about 2.6cm broad and 9mm wide at the base, then (distal) tapers quickly to about 5mm 10cm down the blade, then a gradual taper to about 3mm at the end of the fuller, then down to 1mm near the tip. The length of the blade measured from the tip in a straight line to the shoulders is about 67cm. From the tip to the peen is 81cm. 87cm total inside the scabbard. POB 10.5cm from the base of the blade. I don't have good scales here so unfortunately I can't give an overall weight.

The scabbard grips the blade well enough to hang suspended from it by friction without support when I'm holding the grip of the sword, but not well enough for it to hold the sword in when I hold it upside down while holding the scabbard.

I wish I had a better replacement ring for the scabbard as it looks a little silly. }|:oP
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote