View Single Post
Old 1st June 2022, 06:55 AM   #2
Philip

Congratulations on an unusual and complete specimen with good quality silverwork and scabbard inlay. As you say, the forward-projecting plates on the guard are a distinctive feature; this is the first example of a guom that I've seen that has these. I can't vouch for the Ayutthaya attribution in the museum catalog, without corroborating info it sounds a bit outlandish to me. There were military confrontations between Siam and Vietnam in the early 19th cent., there are Thai silver-mounted dhas in the historical museum in Saigon which were capture pieces modified by the addition of Vietnamese silver-inlaid disc guards; I'm sure that the one in the possession of the Thai prince's estate might have been a trophy from one of those encounters as well.

These sabers were ceremonial regalia used by military officials of Vietnam's Nguyen Dynasty (1803-1945). An officer's attendant carried the sword, in its scabbard, while on parade and at official functions; otherwise it was displayed on a stand at the entrance to his residence or tent. They are thus depicted in numerous historical photos taken during the French colonial period; because the sabers were not intended for use or to be drawn from the scabbards during ceremonies, the blades were invariably lightweight. Late specimens are even found with brass blades.

Years ago I used to own a soldier's field-service version of this pattern, the hilt similarly carved of dark horn, with the knuckleguard being a shaped piece of horn as well. The cutlass-length blade was stout with a well-tempered edge and a Chinese inscription (probably a workshop name) at the forte. I acquired the weapon without scabbard but I imagine that the original would have been brass-mounted of plain hardwood with the fancy work. Unfortunately I can't find a photo of it now.

Last edited by Philip; 1st June 2022 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added info
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote