View Single Post
Old 24th June 2019, 12:35 PM   #15
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... In some of the text reviewing this book, the .380 caliber gun which Mssr. Ravoux sold Rene Secretan, he claimed was 'faulty' and used just for hunting squirrels and rabbits...
Weird. Would it then mean that, if the .38 was fully operational, he would used if for what else ? .

Quote:
... Rene claimed Van Gogh stole it from his rucksack, presumably for the tricks and taunting he had endured from him...
And René, aware of that, let him keep it ? or did he not notice that something so significant as his gun was missing ? Obscure !

Quote:
...When he was interviewed many years later, he claimed that he and his brother had gone to Paris the day of the shooting, and had not heard of it until they saw it in a Paris newspaper.
Obscure again, of course !

Quote:
...there was no reason to remove the bullet. As far as known ,it is still in the remains...So how is the auction gun matched to the caliber that killed Van Gogh, and if the gun he allegedly stole from Rene was a .380 cal, how can the 7mm gun be the one?...
Perhaps to raise its auction price ... just kidding .

Quote:
... That discrepancy is the issue I meant when noting the Liege mfg. relevance. If the 'death gun' was a .380, it does not matter if it was made in Liege, and of course if the auction gun is Lefaucheax, it would not be made in Liege...
Instead it matters in that, being a .38 caliber, was hardly made at Liege. They used the metrics over there, as the Brits used the bore gauge. Basically a .38 would be American. How about that ?

Quote:
...Not ALL Liege guns are marked, there are cases of unmarked ...
Naturally there are; but of all the (say) numerous Liege pistols i have handled, the ones actually marked have a greater score.

Quote:
...The John Wayne quote was paraphrased from Wyatt Earp ...
I wouldn't know; yet the quote i watched was in "The shootist" (produced in 1976).

Quote:
...At the OK Corral in 1881, Wyatt, Morgan and Holliday all had pocketed guns, while Virgil had his in waistband. ...
So ... as i thought.

Quote:
... As we are soon to roll the bookmobile westward, one of our first stops will be in Hico. Texas, where 'Brushy Bill' is buried...
The closest i have been from there was Waco, to visit the Rangers museum. Maybe next time i visit the USA.

Quote:
...PS, in your #4, the image showing a 'Lefaucheaux' being thrown into the river is surely one of the'big' ones of earlier you spoke of...
So the movie director wanted it to be consistent with the 'volume' of one carried by a Buffalo Bill joker, as may be seen HERE.

Last edited by fernando; 24th June 2019 at 01:18 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote