View Single Post
Old 16th December 2007, 03:54 AM   #17
BluErf

I do not have info on the date of when the keris was collected in Lombok.

But the needle did not hit any epoxy between the base and the ganja, nor between the ganja and the pesi base. Just metal.

Before the keris was washed, there were quite some rust on certain spots of the keris, some of them are compact spots of rust which have grown into the blade. In fact, after washing, some of these stubborn rust spots still remain. Some parts of the edge have gone serrated due to rust and old cleaning.

The sheath was made for this keris and has all the patina and gunk associated with old age. there were old damage to the bottom of the sampir as well, which has been smoothened with age. The inside of the sampir is old, dusty and patinated. Does not looked like it had been disturbed for a very long time. The batang has a long age crack at the back and ends exactly where the tip of the blade is. The buntut is lost and gone.

The previous Lombok owner had not washed the keris since he acquired it because there were spots of gold left on the ganja and gandik which he was afraid to fall off when washed. True enough, when it was washed, all the gold on the ganja fell off, leaving only the 2 spots on the gandik.

I can't tell for sure if this keris is modern production or not, but it certainly had a certain grace which the modern-day tukang from sumenep (ok, at least for the few good sumenep I have seen ) couldn't reproduce, for all their skills. If this is a new keris, I bow to the maker for his skills.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote