View Single Post
Old 19th November 2023, 02:16 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai View Post
Hello Jim,

I'd also like to see more antique khukuri (or Nepali blades in general) being posted/discussed!

What are the stylistic indicators that place these examples into the Kumaon region or even Almora/Uttarakhand in general? What is known about the ethnic groups that actually utilized these blades in these regions?

Ok, I'll bite: What about this rather heavy blade (attached below; pics courtesy of Rick)? Does the inscription help?

Regards,
Kai

Hello Kai,
Actually the attribution to Almora was speculative, and it was from notes with these photos, so my post was based on that, and as mentioned I was hoping that others would come in with either support or correction to that attribution. Specific and confined attribution of course is not typically likely with ethnographic weapons, especially in the Indian subcontinent.

With the tulwar hilted khukuri, these were discussed numerous times over the years, and guys who were notably authoritative on these weapons seemed to acknowledge there were likely 'souvenir' examples created (most more obvious such as the 1927 Bannerman items) and others which were military or parade/ceremonial.

The use of tulwar hilts from Nepal and into Bengali regions would not be unusual combined with these traditional blades as the tulwar hilt was well known throughout both. It seems military versions of kukri with these hilts were known in Nepal before Anglo-Nepali war 1814-16, so perhaps later examples were somewhat in accord with those, and members with more knowledge on these areas of arms would elaborate.

Thank you for responding, and Rob thank you as well for the insights on the inscription on Kai's example. Definitely look forward to learning more on these!
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote