View Single Post
Old 14th November 2006, 05:16 AM   #9
Matt Branch

Default A side note

Thanks Jim for all the input.
I have been thinking, about this blade, when I started you could not see a pattern or mark on my blade.
I wanted to find my family history and connect with my roots.
As I began to conserve the blade and the decorations began to appear, the blade took on a life of it's own.
The battle marks on the blade have begun to speak to me.
Clearly this blade has seen battle and has taken life or limb. This has weighed on me at times as I have spent many hours with oil and flitz to reveal the blade under years of rust.
I got the sword in 1974 from my grandfather, and took it to my dad and it sat in a gun cabinet till last year when I rescued it. And started this journey.
My search is about history and my family and has become about the blade.
From my records , a member of my family has served during every war from the civil war to Desert storm. I served during Viet Nam.
When I look at this blade I wonder, where it has been and what it has seen.
That is why I need to know who made it where has it been and what has it seen, and I will not give up till I know.
I have approached this trying to match the size, type and measurments of my blade thinking that it is the best way to ID my blade.
I hope to find the source, solingen, oxacac or toledo and trace how it came to my family.
Others have been critical of my posts and my efforts, but they don't understand.
This isn't a piece of metal, this is my history, my life, my childrens legacy
Regards
Matt
Matt Branch is offline   Reply With Quote