View Single Post
Old 7th November 2005, 02:24 AM   #38
zelbone

Angry

Wow!

I didn't realize my statement of calling these swords a sundang would bring a maelstorm of feedback...

It looks like we have a new "expert" on this forum...

It's obvious Mr. Slovak is unfamiliar with Philippine weaponry of Christian, Muslim, and anismist origin. And even more obvious, unfamiliarity with the various dialects of Philippine languages as well as the history and culture of the Philippines. The term "sundang" is used in almost every dialect across the Philippine archipelego to refer to a long bladed weapon used as either a weapon or tool. This refers to the bolos in the north to the krises of the south. As I said, calling these weapons (including the odd barong-like sword that started this thread and the T'boli hilt kris mentioned later) a "sundang" would be a safe and appropriate term that wouldn't offend any Filipino....Ilocano, Tagalog, Visayan, T'boli, Maranao, Bagobo, etc....

However, I find it amusingly funny that the term "sundang" which is universal in the Philippines to be offensive to Mr. Slovak....who obviously isn't Pinoy...di ba?

It's obvious our new expert in sandata knows more than the rest us; having to use racial comments and appear arrogant...or what the Filipinos would call "mayabang." But I'm not here to debate our new expert...there's no point. I made my statement before to call these swords a sundang to be "safe" since it's a general term used for any long bladed weapon or tool in the Philippines that wouldn't offend any Filipino. But it seems the non-Filipinos are the ones offended. I rarely post here anymore to avoid these debates and confrontations. I haven't even shared the new knowledge I learned in the month I spent across the Philippines recently. That would open up a new can a worms and maybe cause further discord. It's best to keep that knowledge to myself....to avoid conflict with so called "experts."

...experts like Mr. Slovak

Besides, debating over swords and sword terms is fruitless...especially sitting in the comforts of your home. Go to where they are still made and used...and truly learn.

Mr. Slovak debating you would be pointless. Your narrow viewpoint and arrogance would be a hinderance to you. It would be like you coming to a fight with a fork....and me armed with a sundang....tagain kita!
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote