View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 07:59 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Good David! and I appreciate you explaining your explanation, as I took your note that perhaps if the topic posted was placed 'properly' on the other forum to mean that it must have been 'improperly' placed here on the ethnographic forum. That was to me, for some inexplicable reason, confusing as for the many decades I have studied arms I suddenly and awkwardly felt I had been incorrect in thinking of yataghans as ethnographic.

It was however so kind of you to express your concerns toward the probable reason this thread received no response, and of course the point is that arbitrary categorization as to which forum the topic of Cretan weapons, including yataghans is probably irrelevant. It seems that kris topics are posted as often on the ethnographic forum as on the kris forum, and the discussions seem to progress acceptably despite the location of posting.

The primary objective here is learning I believe, and I say truthfully that I honestly never thought of 'Europe' as including Greece, Crete or many of the countries and regions which apparently are technically included.
Here I would like to thank Ibrahiim for the outstanding material from Wikipedia, which I also looked into, and well explains these 'geographic' matters.

I think he hit the nail on the head when noting that in the west, it is the 'ethnographic essence' with which Greece, Crete and many of these countries are perceived that I must have been thinking of. In nearly 40 years in the travel industry, when people spoke of trips to 'Europe' I cannot think of a single instance where that included Greece! I now feel quite delighted that I am now so much better informed.

Hopefully this little detour in geographic convention, though interesting, will be left behind as once again I implore others with interest in the weapons of Crete to join here with comments and examples .
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote