View Single Post
Old 30th June 2007, 10:12 AM   #55
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
Look at this part from the Museum leiden the Junboll

It says it was taken over from an other culture written by Sal Müller

and in my opinion it was in use by some local dayaks but not all .

the Malay did bring the arabic infulence in Borneo just read the books

Schwaner was in one erea in Borneo when he wrote this and he might be writing over the bayu instead over the dohung he did not pictured it so we don t now .

mandaukudi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ben,

one ( 16-284 ) is a very early collected piece came in to the museum around 1860 but was from the journey of Salomon Muller who visited Borneo in 1836.
Salomon visited the south of Borneo the aria upriver Barito from Banjarmassin.
In his book there's one time that he mentioned " we bought some chickens and other food,some mats,weaponery and jewellery" in the village Lontontoer.So its possible that he obtained this Bayu there.

the other (781-04) I'm not for sure but the number is from just before 1900.
the handle looks almost chinese and the scabbard has a " never used patina".

Arjan.

Arjan read what Sal Müller say s about this in Jhunboll

You can t beat the facts Arjan

Ben

dear Ben,

at first:

You wrote your answer between the lines I have written in my answer so it looks almost if I have written it, maybe you can edit that?

second: reading before you answer should provide a long and unessesary discussion.

thirth: Indeed Salomon Muller says in Juynboll that the Dohong is probably taken over from another culture because he says that it maybe is from the times that "Modjapit rules about the coasts of Borneo"
good possible because the blade of the Dohong looks like very old Modjapit daggers.So not Arababs did have their influence on the Dohong but the Hindu.
( however the Arabs did trade in this area)

fourth: (reading before you write) was Schwaner talking about a Bayu when he used the word "Dohong" and talked about a 8 inch turned ivory round and thick hilt? Of course not! You can't beat the facts Ben!

five:I still stay with my opinion that the hilt is of malay origin, the hilts of the 18th and 19th Pattani parangs and Anak Wali's are almost of the same shape.
As Borneo is a mix of diverse tribal influences also its of course possible that the dohong is also a mix creation of Hindu influence with Malay details.

six: please stay reading as professional as your way of collecting,you are a marvelous collector! The treads in this forum are to help eachother with ideas,knowledge and study.But only by staying professional readers we can lift this forum to the high unique level it deserves!

best regards,

Arjan.