View Single Post
Old 13th April 2018, 03:23 AM   #6
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Anthony,

This is a well-known but rather rare style/dapur which seems to be associated with the warrior caste (i. e. above-average status).

However, this blade is extremely crudely forged - it doesn't resemble any craftsmanship nor pamor I've seen from genuine antique keris Bali or Lombok: I rather doubt this is more than a few decades (or very possibly years) old!

I also seem to see several major cold-shuts which would most likely result in the blade being unfit for any real use even if the age+wear hypothesis were true.

Disclaimer: It is pretty tough to assess pieces from pics and, thus, I could be wrong. In this case, I've very little doubt though...

Try to compare any putative acquisition with published examples (books and online) or preferably in real (at musea or with fellow collectors); and be even more careful when you can only find scant and unreliable references! Are you possibly Dutch? (To hang out with the keris study group may be a good idea, too.) Anyway, take every info you get with several grains of salt!

Regards,
Kai

Thank you all members for your advices.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote