View Single Post
Old 11th April 2018, 01:00 PM   #2
kai

Hello Leif,

Quote:
I think it's from the North coast. My first instinct is that it has some real age
Well, the scabbard is Yogya and I recall someone mentioning that this hilt type was commonly utilized by young noble retainers at the Yogya court.

Quote:
The Gayaman style sampir has a kendit stripe (though I think it might be dyed on).
Check along the edges; a lens may help, too. Kendit is the result of a fungal infection - it tends to follow the growth rings while ink will tether out along the grain...

Quote:
The ukiran is a lot of what attracted me to the keris. To my eye, it looks stylistically closer to older ones, rather than modern Cirebon raksasa hilts (it lacks the "hunch-back" you often see on this), but there's a good possibility I'm wrong on this.
These figural hilts with crossed arms and fairly erect posture are often referred to originate from the Pasisir region (NE Java coast) but also found on Madura (putra satu). It's an old style distinct from the common demon hilt type.

Your hilt isn't one of the early pieces; however, it seems carved fairly well for the later examples; I can't comment on its likely age. Even with a little of the hair broken off, it's the main prize here!

Close-ups from all 4 sides of the hilt would be great for in-depth analysis.

Quote:
The filigreed selut is almost certainly a latter addition
Definitely recent work and not really suitable. I'd remove it since it obscures the base of the hilt.

Quote:
The blade looks old (but perhaps it is artificially aged). Evidence of Pamor is visible, and the blade seems to be starting to delaminate near the tip.
I'd guess the blade is old and worn down. IMHO not a quality that would make sense to copy and to age artificially.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote