View Single Post
Old 7th April 2018, 01:32 PM   #29
A. G. Maisey

Kai, I regret I am not free to detail the major missing step in the forging process presented by Dr. Gronemann. There are a number of steps that have been omitted in Dr. Gronemann's account, and I am not at all certain as to why.

The craftsman may have concealed parts of the process, or Dr. Gronemann may not have understood what he was looking at. Or perhaps he felt that it was not necessary to give a blow by blow account, perhaps in his judgement, an overview was all that was required.

I think I can probably say this much:- certain steps are required to preserve any intentional pamor pattern. Examine Dr. Gronemann's description and see if you can identify these steps.

I do not have access to this book at the present time, so I am unable to pursue any detailed discussion, I am running on memory.

I know that Seerp has been working on keris production for a very extended period of time, and I fully accept that he is an experienced tradesman, however, in spite of this, my own experience in keris production demonstrated to me that once basic forge technology and technique is understood, the production of a forging from which a keris is carved is neither a lengthy, nor a difficult process, when simple mlumah pamor patterns are involved.

When pamor miring is involved the levels of difficulty rise and only truly talented craftsmen can successfully accomplish the required pattern welds.

The time and difficulty involved in forge work, whether pamor mlumah or pamor miring is involved shrink into insignificance when compared with the time and difficulty involved in the layout and carving of a keris blade.

Everybody talks about beautifully forged blades, but the real challenge comes with carving, most especially so when only traditional tools are used.

In fact, both old-time empus, and many, if not most current era keris makers regarded and regard the hands on forging of a blade below their status. They use smiths and their assistants for the forge work, which they may or may not supervise, depending upon the level of difficulty involved.

Probably the best sources to assist in gaining an understanding of the forge work involved in keris production are re-prints of old blacksmithing text books, and the books that have been published in recent years by people like Jim Hrisoulis.

I repeat:- the forge work is not difficult: I forged and finished my first keris blade after about 3 eight hour days of instruction in forge work. This a very poor effort at a keris, but it did qualify as one, and it does bear simple wos wutah pamor.

By profession I am an auditor.

My introduction to forge work was with the use of a coal fired forge, which means that when it came to welding, I needed to produce my own coke from the coal. I later used coke that was ready to use, I used charcoal, and I used gas, but I never used gas on keris work. Welding in gas is about as difficult as making a chocolate cake.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote