View Single Post
Old 4th April 2018, 06:12 PM   #23
David
Keris forum moderator

In current era keris production there are obviously numerous schools of thought at play. While i am in complete agreement with Rick as to the intended nature of this forum i don't want to give folks the idea that we do not embrace the discussion of any current era keris. Personally i do see the keris as a LIVING art form and believe that there is room for evolution of design, however, i think that needs to be in compliance with generally accepted guidelines of current keris production. Who decides these guidelines? At one time it would be the keraton and i am sure that many keris smiths and enthusiasts still see established pakem of various keris centers as the guide for what a keris should look like from any given region. Yes, there have always been unusual keris that were made outside these centers and did not adhere to recognized pakem, but generally i believe that even village smiths did their best to create acceptable keris dhapurs back in the day.
Obviously there is another end to that spectrum and we have seen a great deal of anything goes mishmashes of designer modern art pieces. Alexis has presented a number of cross-cultural designs on this forum that are unique and defy both traditional categorization and cultural identity. Often they have a decent sense of craft, but the question arises as to whether they are truly ethnographic keris or merely modern art pieces. Nothing wrong with modern art, per se, but the question arises, is this what we talk about here on this forum.
I am trying to make these distinction because i do not want to give anyone the impression that this forum is not interested in discussing current era keris. Again, the keris is a living form and part of the evolving Indonesian/Malay cultural heritage. New keris that are created as cultural objects within established guidelines are certainly open for discussion here. But when a keris is created by personal whim with a mishmash of cultural influences, sometimes even completely outside the spectrum of any actual keris culture influence (i am thinking of your "Viking" keris dress here Alexis, and your "Anglo-Saxon" keris dress or when you commissioned a "Bali" hilt with a Sinhalese lion design), i do believe it falls outside the intent and purpose of this forum. The keris is an object of cultural identity (amongst other things) and confusing that cultural identity though incongruous or impulsive mashups of style and form, however visual pleasing they might be to some, might be art, but i am not convinced they are keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote