View Single Post
Old 16th February 2022, 12:33 AM   #16
A. G. Maisey

Kai, what I said in my initial post was that I have never seen even a photo of badik that looks like this one.

In spite of the photos of Sulawesi badiks that Detlef posted, I still have not seen a photo of a badik that looks like this one.

Yes, I agree there is a very approximate, very broad similarity in overall form, but also outstanding significant differences, not only in the blade, but also in the hilt & the scabbard.

I'm guessing that the reason I cannot come right out and give you my total agreement with you is that with weaponry that has an agreed standard form, when I see variation from that standard form my mind tells me I'm seeing something different. Possibly the reason for this mindset is my strong background in Javanese keris & weaponry. If it doesn't fit, it is different.

I definitely do not have any suggestions in respect of where or when this item under discussion might have originated, and I definitely do not have intention of trying to convince you & Detlef that it is not what you believe it to be.

But for me, it is a one off.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote