Old 18th November 2008, 02:37 AM   #26
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Thank you, Sir,

I will obey to the rules.

Michael

No problems Michael, and thank you for your most courteous response to the concerns expressed by David on whether this was an auction or not. It does seem unusual that these items catalogued are shown with a price range, which led to the assumption this was an auction .

It is clear that your posting of these items was intended for scholarly study purposes rather than commercial, so I would consider that within fair use perameters, and these included the cite for the photo owner.

David, thanks for your input, and for your reiteration on the forum rules. I agree it would be better to avoid posting items out of catalogs currently for sale, however it does seem suggested in the rules that fair use does permit this as long as properly cited, if I understand correctly. In the thread here, these were posted in the context presented for the purpose of scholarly discussion, not a sale thread, in which case they would have gone to the swap forum. I could not find, as Ed noted, anything specifically prohibiting catalog items, only live auction items.
I think that is where the confusion lies.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote