Thread: Flyessa
View Single Post
Old 21st September 2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Emanuel

Default SSSAAAAAAAAAWWEEEEEEEEET!!!

Nice ones Bill!

Congrats on some beautiful pieces. I wonder whether the handles had the brass casing or not. The heavy cleaning is informative as it shows how the decorations are done. This isn't really inlay as the brass is hammered onto the metal where it has been scored and roughened up. I'd call this overlay, but isn't there a specific term for it? It's not the same as the koftgari technique, is it?

For more info on the flyssa, I recommend this paper Sabres Kabyles by Camille Lacoste-Desjardins: http://rapidshare.com/files/40972393/sabresKabyles.pdf

One thing came to mind...Desjardins had access to a few dozen examples when she compiled her paper. Her thematic study of the derative work is thus limited. Through the Internet we now have access to many more pieces, or at least pictures of them, and Desjardins' work could therefore be updated with a larger sample.

The decoration on your two swords has a slightly different composition than the "classical" ones analyzed by Desjardins, in that they feature a linear, parallel arrangement. In other cases the composition follows a series of pyramids, trapezoids and circles aligned to the long axis of the blade. I will post examples of what I mean later today when I get home.

Best regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote