Thread: Dutch Cutlass
View Single Post
Old 1st November 2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Alexander,
Thank you for posting your Dutch klewang.
While the search feature here is certainly an option, Im sure you posted the sword to initiate conversation, which is what we do here

As noted helpfully, the term for the sword is a klewang, which was a type of sword used by native inhabitants of Indonesia and Sumatra, I believe.,

The sword itself is a military version of these type swords, however after the order for small companies of military police, these type swords were ordered from Germany initially. They were then termed 'merechausee klewangs' (=military police) and numbers of them were made originally in Solingen.
Later with the advent of WWI, it became impossible for the Dutch to order from Germany, and as I understand, the manufacture was passed to the Dutch arsenal in HEMBRUG in the Netherlands. These swords were involved in various campaigns and conflicts in the Indonesian archipelago and others.

The US Navy adopted the pattern for its own model 1917 cutlass, and I believe these Dutch models were around until about 1940.

Those are just rudimentary details which might help in your research Alexander, and its great having you with us!!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote