View Single Post
Old 5th November 2011, 03:45 AM   #11
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Language can act as a signpost. Sometimes the signpost might get twisted and you finish up nowhere, but it is always worth investigation.
Yes, I fully agree with this interesting statement. But if we look to Malay keris, I found some keris term doesn't indicate as a signpost. Like, "carita" keris, in Malay term for instance. Why "carita"? Is there any meaning of "carita" in Malay term? Or it was originated from "carita" in Javanese term? And why it is a straight keris, and not wavy?
Also the form of "carita" itself, I found it different if we talk on javanese kerises for instance. There are so many "carita" variations in forms of kerises in Java. I mean, keris which bears 'dhapur' (model) of carita. If we talk on "carita" only, then we may point to certain dhapurs which has 11 luks with details of one kembang kacang, one jalen, one lambe gajah, one pejetan, one tikel alis, front sogokan and rear sogokan, with sraweyan and greneng...
And more "carita" dhapurs with 11 luks, which has different details such as carita bungkem, carita daleman, carita gandhu, carita genengan, carita keprabon (one of the most popular carita style in Java, many found in noble-man kerises in Yogyakarta), carita prasaja -- all with wavy style of 11 luks. And also "caritas" in 15 luks carita buntala, 17 luks carita kalentang....
But no form of carita kerises in Java which bears straight form. So, my eternal question is why, the Pandai Saras form of carita is a straight form of keris, with ada-ada in the middle of the blade, straight form but a bit curvy, and with "greneng" (I am sorry, not in Malay term). Would you like to explains why? Or it was, or it is just a "carita" name without any explanation?

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote