View Single Post
Old 30th October 2010, 04:10 PM   #23
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannis
IMO The sword (blade and hilt) is Caucasian. I have seen few twisted cores. I cannot understand from the photos if it is real twisted or etched. Only a close look can possibly tell.

But the scabbard is not from Caucasus. It could be from anywhere southern. Like Bulgaria, North Greece, Turkey or Syria.

IMO the scabbard is later addition on a fine kidjal.

I hope this helps.

BTW, I am glad to be here again after long time

Hi Yannis,
Good to have you back, thank you for joining the discussion of my new sword
I was just about to upload the latest pictures as I mentioned to l'audois last night.
I have now finished cleaning the blade and I have given it the lightest possible polish and wipe with a mild product to reveal the structure.
Have a look at the pictures below, you can now see the structure is rather complex. A clear line is visible separating the cutting edge, then a section between the core and the edge, and the twistcore itself which I believe is known as Turkish Star night?
The twist core pattern can be seen to extend beyond the etched area into the polished area, showing it is a genuine twistcore.
I wish it was an earlier blade, but the date has to be right

Although I am astounded at the level of work in a blade dated 1904!!

Surely if I could just decipher that darn name I would have some chance of finding some info on the maker? There can't have been many making such fine blades at that date?
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 30th October 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote