View Single Post
Old 8th September 2015, 04:03 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Odd ball spears Royston, mysteries that keep us all interested.

I have heard on more than one occasion about Mysterious collections and mountains of weapons that steadily come forward....I'd be pushing for more info about the provenance, have the dealer actually take some time and interest to extract some family history...if the weapons remain, so should documents from where the family lived and travelled... maybe with some better family history the mystery will be cracked in time
By manufacture, rather than design elements, these sit well in the Philippines, well to the north.

Of the Naga spear types I hold in my collections, a few are bound. This is the typical Naga rattan binding found on their spears.
Also, of particular note should be that Naga spears are all socket type, at least those published and in museums are...

A good clear macro lense shot of the rattan/cane binging would be beneficial too. As noted above the pattern looks distinctly Amazon, both the colours and pattern...a good clear shot should I feel conclude that the materials and method used for the binding are distinctly Amazon, i.e; the long vertical light coloured pieces secured with the darker wrapping....how the metal tip came to be....???

Gavin
Attached Images

Last edited by Gavin Nugent; 8th September 2015 at 04:33 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote