View Single Post
Old 1st October 2015, 02:27 PM   #30
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
thank you, I know what a ballock dagger is because I have a few( around 20-25 pcs) in my collection.such a general definition on wikipedia tells me personally not so much.

I do not think I can explain it to you but try it anyway.
Because this thread is about a specific style of Ballock dagger held in Netherlands, Germany and Flanders between 1390-1460 . (some other types ballocks I have put in another thread) I hope the comments and placed images may focus somewhat on this type and/or period.

further, it is good if we refer to the illustrations in the text, so what is it andwhat is the relevance of the images to the topic.
The Mary Rose and dagger examples are here btw well in place.

furthermore if it fails it is not a big disaster but in terms of quality of information provision of this thread a bit too general.

best,
Jasper

I dont think threads fail. This one is only at 30 replies and is but young. OK lets accommodate your great idea about focusing on the type you call THE BALLOCK. Germany, Flanders and Netherlands....

Straightaway we run into deep water ...The weapon is very firmly also English and gave rise to the Scottish Dirk... It can be seen at various references with the same or similar flavour such as at https://www.knife-depot.com/knife-information-163.html where it can be observed...Quote"Possibly the manliest of daggers, the bollock dagger has two oval swellings at the tip of its shaft resembling the male genitalia. This dagger was popular in England and Scotland between the 13th and 18th centuries and was commonly carried by outlaws and raiders". (I remember this from my studied about the Border Rievers ...)

"In the Victorian period, historians called the dagger the kidney dagger, because of the two lobes at the guard and in order to avoid sexual connotations. The bollock dagger is also the origin of the expression 'bollocking,' which means to give or receive chastisement".Unquote.

In defence of your stance on this I do acknowledge a note from http://www.bytheswordinc.com/p-14195...r-ah-3271.aspx ...Quote"The Bollock Dagger was the civilian side arm of choice for most of Northern Europe from 1300 – 1550 and often seen on archers and occasionally on middle to higher classes".Unquote.

In so far as the source Wikepedia is concerned; it is a suitable baseline from which to advance and even if in part it is broad based and general it may be remembered that Forum is not only for knowledgeable participants but has a secondary and important role in addressing the subject to all the Forum...not just now but because of the way we collect information...for future study and reference. Do we therefor not have a duty to lay down as much information as we can?

Meanwhile, if I can find an excellent reference to European variants of this weapon I will post it.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st October 2015 at 03:14 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote