View Single Post
Old 30th January 2017, 09:15 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Terry,
Thanks very much for the informative exchange! Its great to bounce ideas back and forth as I admit I have been out of the US swords field for more years than I can say.
My thoughts toward the Masonic motif were actually not to suggest this is a Masonic regalia sword, but perhaps a military sword with such motif. As you noted, most military, gentry, political and professional people were Freemasons, and with military officers often these honorifics were reflected on their dress swords.

The ray skin and wire wrap, as well as this blade (which resembles 1796 British infantry officers dress sword) suggests this is a British supplied sword.
That considered, it would suggest this sword likely places in the early 19th c period you have noted. As it does not correspond to the more regulation patterns and forms for regular military the militia idea, as well as presentation is likely as well.

I would think that militia officers would have even more latitude than regular army in commissioning swords, and that may account for the Masonic motif. Well noted on the names other than presidents probably being generals or other key figures in American political standing.

The Ottoman (pistol grip) style pommel recalling the mameluke swords popular with military officers and star on pommel along with acanthus leaves on quillons are certainly neo classic Masonic devices, and I think the stars and arrows must be as well. With the American Eagle in the national emblem, the arrows clutched in the claw (=arrows of war) offset by the olive branch of peace in the other. That is the only symbolism I find so far on arrows.

I am trying to locate my copy of "American Presentation Swords" (Altmayer, 1958) maybe something there.

I researched the origins of the USMC mameluke sabre for the Marines magazine years ago, and recall the British mameluke swords for officers (1831) and recall having one by Manton of Calcutta years ago. Very attractive swords!

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 30th January 2017 at 09:38 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote