View Single Post
Old 5th April 2022, 09:12 PM   #8
urbanspaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf View Post
Or maybe not. The copper finish is more likely the result of surface enrichment . This occurs when an alloy suffers from corrosion which etches out one element of the alloy ,in this case the zinc leaving copper on the surface Not suggesting your sword has ever been buried but aggressive chemical cleaning can have the same effect. Lavatory cleaner used to be popular. Good for cleaning very dirty brass but can leave a superficial coppery finish easily removed with steel wool and polish.
My theory of nautical purpose would actually account for the high copper content of the brass.
I've been thinking about this and looking at the use of 'Naval Brass' which apparently has a 70% copper content.
If the zinc is leeched out of the surface then what you say is highly probable and the reason the copper finish is restricted to untouched areas may well be its removal by wear and/or polishing of the surface.
Yes, I see what you are getting at.
Pity, I rather liked the copper finish and, as I say, it blends well with the copper binding. That, of course, may again be due to nautical purpose.
Thank-you Raf.
urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote