View Single Post
Old 28th September 2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

WOW, Dmitry,

Your pics made me blush with envy!

Your guess is correct, it is not an arquebus but a South German, most probably Suhl made, relatively light matchlock wall piece of exactly 1625-30! Please look closely at the lock, left rear end, and the surface of the barrel rear, there Must be Suhl control marks (SVL and a stylized hen).

The maker's mark MK on the lockplate will be easy for me to identify if I can get a good close-up!

All in all, it's a fine Thirty Years War piece. Is it yours?

It is obviously preserved in optimum original and virtually 'untouched' condition - please leave it this way, don't clean it!!! The brownish barrel color is hundreds of years old arsenal conservation olive or crude linseed oil now heavily patinated. All egdes are perfectly crisp, and the stock retains its original surface!
As it is a wall gun there is no provision for a ramrod.
The overall length must be ca. 170 cm.

The lock is a regular sear matchlock but its outer shape reminds of a wheel-lock, in order to convey the impression of a more expensive mechanism.

As far as I can tell the only alterations of probably 18th century re-use are the flintlock like 'steel' replacing the originally flat, swiveling pan cover and two reinforcing iron plates on the outide of the lock plate; the steel like piece seems to replace the now missing original fire screen. The matchcord is modern, and the tip of the buttstock is somewhat reduced in width. I surmise there is probably no iron buttplate.

I attach some photos of similar pieces in the Emden and Graz arsenals.

Again, congrats!!!

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 28th September 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote