View Single Post
Old 21st March 2009, 03:19 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

After discovering this blade posted on another forum, I realized that I did not scroll far enough to the left, revealing the distinctly profiled tip on this blade.
Now having the 'big picture' it would appear that this is not the double fullered sabre blade I had anticipated, and likely does have possible Indonesian or SE Asian origins, but probably of the period I mentioned.

It should be noted that much of Indonesian regions are predominantly Muslim, with profound history that includes the Arab trade routes. The use of these type blade markings are found accordingly, and the 'magic square' comments apply as well.

I find the 'malchus' description most curious, and can only imagine it must be used in the Biblical parlance, which again, Norman has most astutely noted, and describes the event described in the Gospels where a sword is used in severing the ear of an individual named Malchus. Although I am not aware of any sword type called by this name, I am sure it has been used in literary metaphor.

Interesting note on Alexandria as well, as there were a number of European swords captured in the crusades (clearly much before this blade) and taken as trophies to the arsenal at Alexandria. A number of these were marked in Arabic calligraphy on the blades noting them as such, and an article describing them was written in Israel in 1962 (I am not near my notes and cannot recall offhand the cite), but I do not think the squares were used. Again, would have to review the notes.
Well placed perspective though ,noting those characteristics!

Best regards,
Jim

P.S. Beautifully done Norman!!! imagine my chagrin!, excellent assessments by you on all counts. I didnt realize that much of my screen was cut off.....after all ...my PC is a Fisher-Price!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote