View Single Post
Old 29th March 2006, 10:48 PM   #11
RobT

"I'm not sure where the idea is coming from that this is an African/African-related style; it's pure European, (there are African Mediterranean dirks, but they're different; see "kodme") and other than the corvos and the pointed bolsters, any of these knives could very simply be from Itally or Spain. If they are from colonies they are pretty much straight copies."

Given the above response to my suggestion at the time that the faca da ponta and other similarly styled knives bear a strong African influence (see thread "Mexican ? Dagger for Identification?", 03/11/05), I can't help but feel heartened by the comments in this thread.

On a different note: I saw a knife that had a faca da ponta hilt but had a broad blade like the one that started this thread. It also had a crossguard. On the side of the blade in big fancy letters was "A. Venenoza". The scabbard was the standard faca da ponta style. The knife appeared to be factory made and of recent manufacture. There was no country of origin on the knife or sheath. If anyone knows the A Venenoza company maybe we could contact the company and find out more about this style of knife.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote