View Single Post
Old 14th September 2014, 11:04 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Sorry people.

Alan cannot add much to this discussion.

I looked at the thread last night, but I do not know what I'm looking at. I've never seen a blade of this shape in mounts like this, the hilt appears not to have been made for the blade:- note the visible amount of jabung around the blade base, usually the hole in the hilt is kept as close as possible to the blade base.

I have never seen pamor like like this, I do not know how those scallops along the edge were done.

The dress doesn't look all that old, I'd guess second half 20th century. This sort of dress was popular from the 19th century through to at least WWII and it almost always has quite a few dings along the edges and at the scabbard tip, sometimes there are dings on the guard or other parts of the hilt. The hilt and scabbard on this pedang look almost pristine.

Charles has said "silver alloy" nearly everybody calls mamas silver alloy, or native silver, or low content silver or similar. With all the silver test fluids I have used, silver tests red. If it tests other than red its not silver of any type.

No, I do not know what I'm looking at:-

old, recent, new? don't know

silver or mamas? don't know --- but if it is mamas it will be older, pre-WWII.

blade made as is, or recycled? don't know

quality work or market quality work? don't know

pamor work is certainly unusual, but is this a quality blade or just a show piece? don't know

Too many questions attached to this piece to give any opinion at all.

Question:- how long is it? blade length, overall length?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote