View Single Post
Old 9th May 2005, 05:17 AM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Just noticed on a shortword size 'sosun pattah' ? with khanjhar form parrot head steel hilt that I have, the blade tip also has the armour piercing reinforcement. This weapon is undoubtedly Mughal and 19th c. but more interesting now that I have seen this kirach.

Once again buried in a sea of archival debris, I at last found some references to that confounded 'sunburst' or whatever it is on the blade!!
In "Wallace Collection Catalogs:European Arms & Armour" Sir James Mann, 1962, p.390, this marking appears on a Swiss dagger c.1560 in two of them parallel. Somehow, it makes no reference to the meaning, despite the fact that the time was taken to draw them! grrr!
I found these toothed circles again in "Armi Bianchi Italiene" (Boccia & Coelho, 1975, #545) on the blade of a sabre d. 1600-1610. These appear in multiple combinations of one on either side of an almond shape with the same toothed design. These appear as motif in the fullers, with about 20 of them in all.

While on an Indian weapon, we may expect such a symbol to have either religious or talismanic/auspicious meanings. However if these have been duplicated from European blades, as often was the case, such symbols may be derived from cabbalistic/alchemical devices. A symbol very similar to this only with a concentric dot center is used in context to describe fire. There are numerous ideograms with dots etc. that denote iron, as well as 'wind furnace' (=forge).

It is unfortunate that whatever was between the 'sunbursts' is obliterated as it might help further establishing possible meaning. Another thing that seems significant in markings that sometimes appear on these blades is the key and unusual places they appear. For example, a grouping of specific number of dots placed at the choil or peak of false edge of a blade.
Many of these mysterious marks have alchemical or cabbalistic meaning that is of course long lost to us, but may have been well understood at the time these blades were made.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote