Thread: hilt material ?
View Single Post
Old 7th January 2010, 02:41 PM   #67
guwaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey

Let us examine this quotation:-

Alan G. Maisey

A wonderfull essay and practical demonstration how literature reading and research should be done - I am impressed and heavily can add something as everything is said.

So I will just point out two i.e. three of you statements:

"Achim Weihrauch trusted Harsrinuksmo/Lumintu as a reliable source, and failed to recognize or to check the source that they used."

This hurts, it hurts as it is an dissertation and in a work for which you receive the Dr. titel this is generally not allowed to happen. No good reference also for the doctor father(s).

"To be able to do this, surely he is literate in Indonesian, and possibly also Javanese."

I don't want to go to much into the detail but here you are hanging the ladder to high. I can imagine what you might think and feel now, but it is as it is and I am also not happy with it but we and the kerisologi have to live with it. The most impotant point in litarature recearch you depicted today in your essay in a very clear manner and therefore I would like to close with citating your final words as they show exactly the danger of non-critical reading and this is not only attributed to scientific written books but even more to the what I call 'picture books' (you just have to change the term "researcher" with "collector"):

"This compounding of errors is exactly the way that keris research and keris literature becomes corrupted. A future researcher could rely on Achim Weihrauch's work, just as Achim Weihrauch relied on Harsrinuksmo/Lumintu and could draw completely incorrect conclusions based upon the errors in geographic location and time."
guwaya is offline   Reply With Quote