View Single Post
Old 8th April 2008, 01:36 PM   #29
Chris Evans

Hi Jim,

Yet again a terrific and extremely informative thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
It is interesting about the comments on the heft of the sword, and on the sword combat techniques of the times.

Not wishing tp derail the discussion, but there is something not quite right with Lawrence Frosts comments re the weight of the sword and its usage.

Comparing Custer's blade to the light cavalry saber Model 1860 - in vogue at that time, the light cavalry saber had a 34 5/8 inch blade that was on inch wide, and weighed one pound and six ounces.

I am not familiar with the sword to which he refers, but think that it must have been a dress sword rather than a combat weapon. My Ames 1862 has a 1 wide by 33 1/2"long blade and weighs 31oz out of the sheath. All the cavalry sabres that I have seen weighed around 2Lbs, sometimes quite a bit more and sometimes a bit less, but not by much. Even the straight bladed English officers 1854 pattern sword weighs in at 1Lb 11oz, yet it was a rather light weapon.

In fact, the 1Lb 6oz weight quoted seems suspect because that is the weight of a decent dueling sabre, or a heavier than average small sword. I just cannot see how a 1"wide bladed sword could be that light.

In any event, I don't think that cavalry weapons of that era were wielded in a manner similar to that of the much lighter fencing sabres that came later from Italy and which influenced military usage in the last quarter of the 19th century

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote