View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2016, 08:49 AM   #22
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathey
Hi Guys

As I mentioned previously the royal Naval lodge was founded in 1739. Having discussed this dirk at length with a Naval collector he reassured me that it is Naval but would have belonged to an officer who was also a member of the Naval lodge in the Georgian period.

The Guard has the typical English lion hilt common to many Naval dirks and an English rose on the cross guard.

Regards

Cathey and Rex

It seems I am striking out in finding much on British naval lodges. I very much agree with the Georgian period of this dirk, and the style, scabbard etc. corresponds to Naval edged weapons of the time. The rather 'half' lion seems like some presentation swords of the period. Usually the lion heads were more full.
A 'Freemasons Chronicle (Vol. 11, 1879) lists two 'Sea' lodges in the 18th century. One in 1760 (#254 HMS Vanguard)which went to #108 London Lodge.
Another in 1762 which went to Somerset House? (#254, HMS Prince at Plymouth).
According to this reference, these were still 'on the rolls' of Grand Lodge of England in 1879.

"A Concise Cyclopedia of Freemasonry" Edward Lovell Hawkins (1922) lists these as well, but mentions three lodges, unclear on the other.
It seems noted that of the military, the navy was not very active in formation of lodges c. 1755. The mention of three lodges known to be warranted by Grand Lodge Of England remain mysteriously unclear.
Another note mentions that no other sea lodges were ever constituted though one request to Grand Lodge of Scotland in 1810 was made but not completed.

There are suggestions that Lord Nelson was a Mason, but no exacting proof has been established despite some notable references to certain lodges having commemorations for him .
While I found mention of an 'amphibious lodge' (#407) for Royal Navy officers and Marines (Stonehouse, Plymouth, 1787)......I could not find significant notice to naval lodges further.

I did find a British officers dirk having a Masonic emblem on the scabbard throat c. 1880 and to a Priory Lodge 341, New Ross.

It would be great if your source could note more on Freemasonry in naval context as these findings are terribly incomplete and I'd sure like to know for my own notes.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote