View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Ann Feuerbach

Default Yataghan research beginning

Hi everyone, I just returned from a symposium on Yataghans, in Turkey. We are intending to begin some serious research on the topic which will include the place, the people and the products because they are intimately intertwined. We are also intending to publish the 1st Symposium Proceedings in the future and I will let you know when it is.

Some history...the people from Yataghan came from Central Asia, Ferghana Valley Uzbekistan about 800 years ago. There is good documentary evidence of this. Legend says that the type of blade, a Yataghan (pronounced locally as Ya-tan), was first made by a blacksmith from the village. There are still many working blacksmiths in the village of about 3,500 people. Obviously yataghans were also made in many other locations so this will not be limited to Turkey, but the style of blade. Ideally, with funding, we will create a database of yataghans to help identify chronology, types, production centers etc.

I have set up a Facebook page and invite you to join the discussions. The page is a bit sparse now, but it is just the beginning. Hope to see you there! Yataghan Facebook page
All the best,
Ann
Ann Feuerbach is offline   Reply With Quote