View Single Post
Old 13th August 2011, 03:53 AM   #19
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Mike, I'd like to join in welcoming you, and thank you for a great entry with this outstanding grouping. This is an excellent example of true collecting in that one does not need a huge collection, just discerningly selected examples representing diverse areas. Each of these has its own intriguing history, and I agree with those who have suggested putting each on thier own thread. I think you'll find that the ensuing detail from these will add some great perspective, and we all enjoy learning from every example shown here.

For example, the unusual heavy curved blade weapon at bottom, I honestly had no clue, but Rick astutely noted it was a Collins machete.....then Robert adds outstanding detail! In a single thread, others with focus on machetes can zero in on the thread and add more, and more examples turn up.

Personally I am intrigued by the German broadsword blade marked to J.J.Runkel. This blade is remarkably similar to blades that are found on Sudanese kaskaras in the latter 19th century, however J.J.Runkel marks suggest the opening years of the 19th century. Runkel was actually a London based German importer rather than a maker, and I believe these type blades were for military broadswords for Scottish units as well as the M1796 heavy cavalry officers dress swords. I'd like to see individual photos on this and the markings.

The Black Sea yataghan is a fascinating weapon, and has been the subject of many discussions here, and actually was finally identified somewhat conclusively as a Laz 'bichagi' used by these tribal groups in various Turkish regions from c.1850s ino the early 20th century. Under Black Sea yataghan on the 'search' feature here you will see some of these discussions. As Gene has well pointed out however, these have, like most weapons, a lot more to be learned about them.

The bayonets are often a tough call as they do often look so much alike and the basic forms were used by many countries over long periods, so many times the most subtle nuances are key to final ID. Similar dilemmas come up with firearms such as the Colt, which was produced in considerable numbers and as Berkeley has pointed out, sometimes by other countries. I have familiarity but little distinct knowledge on firearms, but have found that 'Man at Arms' magazine has been one of the most outstanding resources on guns around. I'm quite sure with thier huge corpus of material on Colts in thier issues since 1979, probably there is some detail on these Colts of M1877 form with the butt lanyard, possibly Spanish.

Again Mike, welcome, and very, very nice weapons..Thank you!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote