Thread: Howdah Pistol
View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2008, 04:01 AM   #10
Pukka Bundook

Bill,

I'm not sure if it was the first time around, but straight rifling in shotguns,
(fowling pieces) was popular for a short time in the mid 18th century.
They did indeed throw shot in a very uniform manner, but it had to be of the correct size, that fit exactly in the rifling grooves. (round bottomed grooves.)

The fad did not last very long, as the barrels hed to be somewhat heavier then a normal fowler barrel.

What I said earlier about reduction of friction, is the same as reducing the effect of fouling.
The smaller the area that the ball/patch is in contact with, the less the resistance in loading. That might be the theory, but others will argue that a smooth bright bore is best!

Something has just come to mind; (mind,...what mind?!)

18th century German rifles, made for boar hunting also had straight rifled barrels.
I think in George Shumway's book "Jeager Rifles" he states that the rifling was cut in this manner to facilitate rapid reloading,...the ball could be shoved down the bore faster than through a bore with conventional rifling.
This would be a good idea when boar hunting with a single-shot gun!
Re. accuracy, not much difference out to 70 yds. and your pistol was designed to be fired within a few yards,...at something moving, so the rifling wouldn't make much difference.

All the best,

Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote