View Single Post
Old 12th June 2018, 11:37 PM   #15
jagabuwana

Thanks for elaborating on tangguh some more, I have a better understanding now. I'd read the linked article before but this gave a fuller, elaborated picture. I'm familiar with the Javanese worldview and emphasis placed towards belief, as it is much the same in Sundanese. I'm therefore surprised that Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo (alm.) would say that tangguh isn't "real". Was he extracting himself from the practice or shared belief and system, or was he saying that it was supported only by shared belief and understanding and therefore not "real" in the same way reading historical manuscripts is real? I know you mentioned that this is not the place to expand more on tangguh, so perhaps asking more is asking too much.

Regarding Tuban and Tuban blades:

I was under the false impression that all tangguh refered to Kingdom names or eras of reign. With Tuban being a trading port, does this necessarily mean that blades made in Tuban are of inferior craftsmanship and quality than blades made by keraton empus? And were they made and then sold "off the shelf" as opposed to having been commissioned by someone?
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote