View Single Post
Old 24th November 2014, 08:27 PM   #1
Kinikini

Default Beautiful Kinikini

I could go on for hours telling you about this Masterpiece of Fijian craftsmanship that dates to very early 19thC possibly late 18th.
I purchased this soon after it had been exhibited in the 2011 Parcours Des Mondes Tribal art fair in Paris by a London dealer. Prior to this it was owned by Mr James Barzyk of Oceanicarchive in the states who described the club as "Best In Class" and it's certainly is something special compared to most examples iv'e ever seen for sale.
From top to bottom it measures approx 48 inches, the blade is 15 inches across and from the start of the carving at the top of the shaft/neck to the tip of the blade is 27 inches.
The designs/patterns on the blade have been described by James Barzyk as Bedazzling and I totally agree. It is almost impossible to define where each of the "geometric" panels either begin or end as they seem to merge into each other producing a very hypnotic effect for and the more you look the deeper it takes you until the patterns seduce you to the point they seem to move and merge with each other, adding an intentional Magical aura to this Beautiful specimen by it's Designer's/Creator's fit for any Chief or Priest. Carved from a single piece of wood using primitive tools.
The dark colour and patina are Superb.
I believe it is the only known example with 2 inverted Dog's on the blade as well as the other Glyph's, but I could be wrong. Please Note. Compressing the pics pics have made the kinikini appear to be shorter than it actually is. All the Best K
Attached Images

Kinikini is offline   Reply With Quote