View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2012, 06:31 AM   #12
yuanzhumin

Hello Apolaki,

Sorry to deceive you: your sword is a nice souvenir but it is not the authentic piece. It is a little better than the ones made in the fifties to sell to the American soldiers stationed on the island, and that we commonly see appearing on Ebay.

Yours could have been made a little later, may be sixties or seventies. But it remains a piece made for outsiders, a folklore piece. If it was sold to you as an authentic one, the seller lied and this is a fake.

You can see it by yourself: the carving has been done awkwardly and the quality is not there; the more recent copper string used on the open side of the scabbard; the black/brownish slip added on the wood to make it appear like it is old and patinated; the poor quality of the wood used that already has split on the handle; the really bad quality of the blade; the use of shells (absolutely not traditional for Paiwan)...

By the way, your sword is in the Paiwanese style.

I advise you to read with attention the previous posts on this forum about authentic Taiwanese swords, check the pictures or look in specialized books to compare by yourself. I can give you some good book references if you need. But I think you will find them already mentioned on this forum if you search correctly.

If you are interested in an authentic sword, you still may find one on sale on the net or in Taiwan antique shops, but prices are high : you have to count from 800 USD to 7000 USD depending on the ethnic group (Paiwan, Atayal, Amis, Puyuma...), the quality or if it's rare or not.

Concerning the shipping, you'd better check with the airlines. Personally, I would never try in a luggage if it's something precious. Usual well known private shipping services could do perfectly as they have done well in the past for me with my Taiwanese knives, but I have to say frankly that i'm getting more and more problems with the customs.

Concerning the exportation of antiques, IN TAIWAN, there is no laws limiting it.

Best regards,

Yuanzhumin
yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote