View Single Post
Old 9th March 2017, 03:35 PM   #17
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
In checking Boccia & Coelho (1975) examples 320 and 321 are apparently marked with virtually the same running wolf, both are from Venice (but not the early schiavonas) and both c. 1535-50.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for finding this, it is a very interesting example! I hadn't though to check this source since of course it focuses on Italian-made weapons. It looks like this is only one sword though, which is shown in the two photos #320 and #321. From what little can be seen in the photos, and from Boccia's description, I would not be surprised if the marked blade is at least somewhat older than the given date, which should refer specifically to the hilt only. The date range is no doubt correct for the latter - it is very similar to several swords owned by the emperor Charles V.

Boccia also illustrates one of the four schiavonas I was referring to: #167 in Venice. Two more are in Vienna, and then the illustrated sword above is (or was) in Budapest. These four have marks that are very, very similar. This new example in Naples (Boccia's #320/321) and a third schiavona in Vienna seem to have marks that are quite similar in style and technique, though less of a "perfect" match than the first four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Most important is to find a group of these typically loosely applied marks (many almost indiscernible) which are virtually consistent in form and in the same period and regional context.
I agree! I've started finding some other examples that are more or less similar - but still the closest similarity seems to remain among this small group. So it seems believable to me that we are seeing the products from a common source, even a specific artisan or workshop, quite possibly in Passau, that arrived in Italy sometime around 1500 or shortly thereafter.
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote