View Single Post
Old 24th March 2024, 05:28 PM   #1
bsolis1

Default Help identifying mark on stiletto?

Let me start by saying that I've loved this forum from a distance for the better part of a decade and I've finally found a question I couldn't answer by searching the archive.

I recently received the pictured stiletto in an auction lot of assorted daggers and I'm hoping someone can help me identify it. It came with a tag that said "Gunner's Dagger $1,650" - which would be an absurd price even if it was what it claimed to be. In the picture, it's next to an early 17th century northern Italian stylet and screams modern to me, though I'd love to be wrong.

It is very similar to the All-Steel Stiletto sold by Windlass Steelcraft, but smaller, with slight differences in the handle. Under magnification, there was a faint mark almost completely obscured by patina. Sacrilege though it may be, I had to know and uncovered it. I've been trying to figure out what it's supposed to be - my best guess is some sort of crown?

Any chance anyone recognizes the mark? Ultimately, I guess I'm trying to determine if it's an old reproduction or a new one.

Overall length: 13.0625
Blade length: 7.5625

Thanks!
Attached Images

bsolis1 is offline   Reply With Quote