View Single Post
Old 26th January 2016, 05:24 AM   #10
Cathey

Default Moors head not Queens head

Hi Guys

Thank you for the information posted, I think we are beginning to solve the puzzle. Thanks to Jim for finding the Arms of the See of Freising, I have done some further research into the use of the crowned blackamoor heads in heraldry. It appears that the crowned moor was used in Germany, where as in Spain and Italy the Moor wears a scarf.

I feel very comfortable agreeing with the direction of the discussion to date which is that the sword is from the Southern German region of Europe. This being the case and the use of the Crowned moor in heraldry in this area brings me to believe that the heads on the blade may have nothing to do with a maker, and may have been commissioned decoration that meant something to the owner of the sword.

Jasper, Thank you for the detailed analysis of component parts of my sword, it appears it might be a little earlier than my original guess at a date of C1630. The sword you have pictured purchased at auction for £55, what a fabulous buy. The shell guard has much in common with my rapier. Can I trouble you to post pictures of the entire sword, we simply do not see these surface in Australia.

Iskender, what is a Haudegen, I have never come across this term before? I googed it and came up with a Rock Band I suspect this is not what you mean.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote