View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 02:57 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathey
Hi Guys

I think Jim might be on the right track suggesting the marks on the blade are blackamoor heads; I had only discounted this due to the crowns. If anyone has an example of a crowned blackamoor I would be very grateful. I also agree that this sword should be categorised as a riding sword and does have a Italian look about it. Also I think Iskender is probably right and that blade is solingen made by a member of the wundes family ; johannes wundes the younger. I just wish I could find evidence that links these strange crowned heads with him of someone else definitively.

Cheers Cathey and Rex

Thank you Cathey,
In continuing to search for plausibility in my blackamoor head suggestion, I found one example in heraldry with a crown, though as I noted the uncrowned blackamoor head is significantly well known. I found the attached example in the arms for the See of Freising, in Southern Germany.
This would seem to align with the observation made by Ulfberth in the likelihood of South Germany with this style sword.

The triple configuration as I previously noted is seen in a number of Italian markings in grouping, and can be seen in the triple arcs at the end of the fuller near the cross as well.

I would point out here that the Wundes kings head markings are of course quite different. In Gyngell p.,46) there is an uncrowned unbearded figure of this blackamoor type shown to Matanni of Solingen.
In Boeheim (p.663) there is a crowned kings head to Antanni Matanni c.1550 listed in Italy.

In Gyngell (p.40) there is one of these uncrowned heads as well as the crowned kings head both to Martino Antonio of Solingen.

it would seem these blackamoor heads were somewhat comingled between crowned kings heads and uncrowned blackamoor type heads as were apparently Italian smiths between these centers.

I would be inclined to think of this sword, clearly early to mid 17th c. to bear markings used by Italian makers in this variation and configuration probably in S. Germany or Styria as suggested. and reflecting the influence of the Solingen markings combined with more standard kings heads.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 25th January 2016 at 03:14 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote