View Single Post
Old 17th January 2016, 06:28 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Regarding these markings, the three regal heads, I do not think these are 'queens' heads, and while the name in the blade fuller is obviously Italian, it seems quite likely these stamped heads are as well. In Boccia & Coelho there are some blades which have triplicate groupings in this type configuration.
While the hilt itself seems more northern European, I think this may well be an Italian blade, and I think the period early 17th c. proper.

The use of female heads in sword blade markings as far as makers marks or stamps seems extremely rare, actually R.D.C. Evans notes,
" ...#24- MAIDENS HEAD- the only female head noted amongst recorded marks, this blade makers mark occurs on one Hampton Court bayonet".
This mark to Philip Penn 1668.

JAAS, Vol. XVII, No.6 , Sept. 2003,
"Cutlers Marks on English Plug Bayonets: A Survey" , RD.C. Evans, p.306

While obviously in England, a bit later and regarding bayonets, the example is just to illustrate that female heads in such stamps are unlikely.

The unbearded character with it seems curly hair somewhat recalls certain types of blackamoor head in many varying marks. While these are typically turbaned there do seem to be cases where crowned, but have yet to locate them.

While realizing that the observation terming these heads as 'queens heads' is simply descriptive, I just wanted to add more on their character .

Nice sword!!! of course!! and always great to see this wonderful thread continued Thank you Cathey
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote