View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2020, 03:20 PM   #17
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
This is a bit off-topic but I am posting it anyway for interest, as there are parallels with the sword fence discussed already. When searching for information on fences made from redundant weapons, I found two other examples, both in the USA, but using gun barrels instead of swords :-

a) A fence to a house in Georgetown, Washington DC., using old Brown Bess barrels from the Revolutionary War period.

b) A fence to General Ulysses S. Grant's farm in Gravois, St Louis, Missouri, using both surplus gun and cannon barrels from the Civil War period.

I am attaching some images from the internet.

If anyone knows of more instances of fences made from old weapons, or can add to the few details above (not sure if 100% accurate), please do so.

Wow!! Colin this is incredibly fascinating! I had never heard of these, nor for that matter this kind of fence making.....this is repurposing to the Nth degree.
While it is horrifying in a sense, to arms historians such as myself, to see these arms in this context, in a way it is better than losing them to the scrap heap and smelter. Looking forward to further input, perhaps a new thread?
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote