View Single Post
Old 8th January 2024, 04:03 PM   #41
Raf

Thank you for posting this new picture. You may be right and there is no evidence that the serpentine is not simply hinged as in Peter Kunz reconstruction. However it also shows two unaccountable errors which would undoubtedly affect its functionality. The friction bar is made both too wide and too short. The admittedly poor illustration attached shows the friction bar is less than 1/4 inch wide and has an effective frictional length of about 4 inches . Which corresponds to the frictional area of early Wheellock wheels. Also in the section nearest to the handle the two horizontal groves are well defined but the rest of the bar appear worn. This may be circumstantial evidence that it did actually work.

In my practical experience of the vagaries of wheel lock ignition I find it difficult to see how the required frictional velocity could have been achieved simply by pulling on the operating handle. Furthermore as far as I'm aware no one has made a reconstruction that proves it actually works in the way it is described.
However I may have over complicated the problem and it is just possible that a short lanyard tied to the handle pulled sharply overcoming the pressure of the pyrites on the friction bar might create a velocity sufficient for ignition.
Attached Images

Raf is offline   Reply With Quote