View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2006, 09:11 PM   #27
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks very much guys for the kind words, and thanks for posting as I kind of wanted to keep this thread going!! I had never really paid much attention to the enamel decoration as it was so far out of my league I never really saw purpose in trying to study it. Thats why I am glad that Jens sparked this interesting subject, and now I can at least understand cloissone vs. champleve, up to now just fancy terms to me!

Brian & Tim,
I have heard of the Baden-Powell book long ago, but pretty much gave up trying to find it. It did seem to have distinct promise as he was as noted contemporary with Hendley et al. I have long said that while these early writers' works have obviously been considerably superceded by many recent discoveries and more recent research, they serve as valuable benchmarks as examples of opinions and observations of the times. One can never underestimate original research that often may inadvertantly hold clues to completely forgotten lines of investigation.
BTW, I was once a Boy Scout too!!! On my honor I did my best!!! I was incredibly pleased when years later I found that Baden-Powell the India researcher and Baden-Powell the Scouts founder were one in the same.

Battara,
I'm glad you're planning to approach the enamelling process, it really does sound exciting and challenging! I found lots of key information far too technical for me to comprehend in the Encyclopedia Brittanica. Perhaps checking into that resource might offer some insight that could be helpful in your project....I hope you'll keep us up to date on progress!! I always envy you guys with these crafting skills!!!
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote