Thread: Barong again!
View Single Post
Old 9th October 2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Sajen

Hello Shakethetrees,

very good cleaning job of the blade, ready for etching. I think that this barong is much later as the other one, 1930 or later but a very nice one. From which material is the remaining ferrule? I think there is missing a second and maybe a third one. I would let work them in the same manner new, replace the missing wrapping and attach the handle firmly again in correct manner, clean carefully the wooden pommel without removing the patina and oil it with linseed oil. The scabbard don't show a nice patination so I would clean it carefully with steel wool to show the potentially nice grain of the wood. Glue the split in up and reattach the mother of pearl piece in the way it was originally. Restauration of the finish of the scabbard will be a great concern, there was once most probable as well attached a MOP piece, personally I would let it like this.
The best reference book about Moro blades is "Moro Swords" from Robert Cato, difficult to get and somewhat expensive but with good luck you will find an example.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote