View Single Post
Old 6th June 2019, 02:01 PM   #18
kronckew

NOLA even had a good German Restaurant, I couldn't afford to eat there on an Ensigns salary. Ate many a Po'boy or Muffeletta sandwich (aka 'hero' or 'submarine') which were cheap and you could get just about anything layered on them. Them or red beans and rice (usually with hamhock and cajun sausage in it). And tons of shrimp and crawdads (crayfish) tho I never could bring myself to suck the heads out like the locals.

When we first moved there, in 1968, we lived in a small efficiency apartment on Royal just off Canal street a few doors down from a large Antique arms and armour dealer. Bought a cool elaborately engraved double headed indian parade axe there, since lost over the years of moving. racks of swords, halberds, spears, flintlocks, etc etc etc. It's still there! Antique Guns and Swords, 437 Royal. see below! spent many an hour drooling in there (and spending a few dollars). Y'all can blame them for getting me started in this mad avocation

French market was a couple blocks away as was Bourbon street. Beignets and coffee every morning before getting to the MIO offices at 9 that was a long trip of two blocks. We were on Camp & Common, a block other side of Camp from our flat.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 6th June 2019 at 03:19 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote